Converting Landfill Gas to Clean Renewable Natural Gas
The conversion of landfill gas to clean renewable natural gas reduces greenhouse gas emissions and boosts revenue for landfill owners.
Many landfill owners are engaging in a process to reduce methane emissions and boost revenue by capturing and upgrading landfill gas to clean renewable natural gas. This process contributes to the reduction of methane emissions, positively impacting local communities and the environment. The benefits of LFG to RNG projects are significant for the following reasons.
1. Greenhouse Gas Emission Reduction:
• Landfills are a major source of methane emissions, contributing significantly to climate change.
• Reducing methane emissions is crucial for mitigating the impact of global climate change.
• Methane is a potent greenhouse gas with a short atmospheric life, making its reduction highly beneficial.
2. Revenue Increase:
• The conversion of LFG to RNG creates a valuable energy resource, contributing to revenue generation.
3. Air Pollution Reduction:
• Technologies and practices employed in LFG to RNG projects also reduce emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and local air pollutants.
4. Health and Safety Benefits:
• Preventing the release of methane into the atmosphere contributes to improved air quality and reduces hazards associated with LFG emissions.
5. Community and Economic Benefits:
• LFG projects have positive effects on local communities by creating jobs and stimulating economic growth.
• Project costs are often spent locally, providing economic benefits through increased employment and sales for businesses involved in the project.
6. Environmental Compliance Cost Reduction:
• Utilizing LFG for beneficial purposes helps in environmental compliance, reducing associated costs.
Read more about environmental benefits on the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) website.
The Process of Collecting and Treating Landfill Gas
Instead of escaping into the air, LFG is captured, converted, and used as a renewable energy resource. This process helps to reduce odors and other hazards associated with LFG emissions and prevents methane from migrating into the atmosphere and contributing to local smog and global climate change.
The RNG industry is growing at a rapid pace. One of the leaders in the RNG industry is Morrow Energy. The company has over 2 decades of experience in the RNG industry, a founding member of the RNG Coalition, and is among the most active RNG project developers in the nation. Morrow currently has 40+ RNG projects complete or underway. The company owns and operates 5 LFG to RNG facilities with a combined LFG treating capacity of 35,500 SCFM (Standard Cubic Feet Per Minute)
The reduction of greenhouse gases from the Blue Ridge Renewables facility is the environmental equivalent of planting over 1.8 million acres of forest each year. Facilities like these have a dramatic positive impact on our environment.
The benefits of these facilities extend beyond environmental considerations to the community and the economy. RNG generation from LFG not only generates revenue but also creates employment opportunities associated with project design, construction, and operation.